I am often asked how I organize all of my very large craft supply stash and that is a difficult question to answer because everyone scrapbooks a little differently. The key to organizing and using your stash is being able to find the right supply at the right time without spending too much time or organizing it to begin with. In short, you need to organize in the same way that you craft!
I, for one, am a very color oriented and theme oriented scrapbooker, therefore, I organize everything by those methods.
For my color based organization (inks, pens, markers, cardstock, scraps, washi, twine, ribbon, brads, buttons, die cut binders, glitter, liquid pearls, embossing powders, paint, pocket cards, etc), I use a modified rainbow:
For other items that don’t really have colors, (i.e. our supplies such as stamps, patterned paper, punches, metal dies, pocket cards, etc) I organize by theme. Every person’s themes will be different based on the topics that you scrapbook. Here are mine that focus on daily life with my hubby and little girl, our travels, and the great outdoors:
- Baby / Pregnancy
- Children / School
- Celebration (I also put my card making supplies in this category)
- Family / Home / Daily Life
- Love / Wedding
- Travel (Lots of subcategories here)
There are also some themes that are very broadly based by a calendar methodology:
- Winter (Includes December, January, February and all holidays associated in those months such as Christmas, New Years, Valentines day, etc)
- Spring (March, April, May and all holidays in those months such as St. Patricks day, Easter, etc)
- Summer (June, July, August and all holidays in those months such as 4th of July, etc)
- Fall (September, October, November and all holidays in those months such as Halloween, Thanksgiving, etc)
Overall, you need to take note of what you scrapbook and how you scrapbook. When you need a pink tag, do you go look for pink or do you look for your tags? For me, I would go to my pink die cut binder and flip through it until I found the perfect tag.
Overall, I hope this introduction helps you start to think about your organization. Just remember, buying supplies, organizing supplies and actually scrapbooking are 3 very different hobbies. Balance your time to make the most of all 3.